Monday, January 1, 2018

More Video Art at SAAM

Where: Smithsonian American Art Museum

When: closing March 18, 2018

Happy New Year to all my readers!  I look forward to another year of museum-going and blogging my views thereon.

My march through March continues, as I'm determined to see as many shows as possible before the potential government shutdown on January 19.  Really hoping this will not have been necessary, but am taking no chances.

SAAM collects video art, as well as paintings and sculptures, and they have a space set aside to show off their holdings called "Watch This!"  A clever name, I think, as it lures you in to see what's on offer.  At present, they have four different pieces on view.  The best of them is "Face in the Crowd," which surrounds you as you sit or stand in a small room.  It's a swirling mix of people, the crowds on the street, where it's so easy to vanish in a sea of humanity.

Verdict: No blockbusters here, but you won't regret a few minutes spent looking at these new videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment