Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Happy Birthday Marlene Dietrich!

Where: National Portrait Gallery

When: closing April 15, 2018

Yes, I'm now making my way through the April closings.  If I keep up this pace, I might even be able to use my lunch times to see parts of the Smithsonian permanent collection, or take a museum tour.

December 27 was Marlene Dietrich's birthday, so what better time to go see the exhibit on how she cultivated her image?  Refusing to bow to anyone else's expectations, she lived her life and wore her clothes on her own terms.  And no one, not the French government, not society's expectations, not her long list of lovers, not even Adolf Hitler could stop her.

Born in Germany, she was an international star who embraced an androgynous nature.  As beautiful in men's suits as she was in an evening gown, she was openly bisexual, at a time when no one was openly anything, other than perfectly straight.

She acted, she sang, she danced, she played the musical saw, and she cultivated her image, which may have been the most demanding of her roles.  She was also fiercely anti-Nazi, and risked her life to entertain troops during WWII.  The medals she received for her war work meant more to her than any accolades for her other performances, she said.

Looking at one of her photographs, I heard Madeline Kahn in my head, "Wilkommen, bienvenue, welcome, c'mon in..."  And then I read the wall notes that said Dietrich was recalled by Kahn in "Blazing Saddles."  Always so satisfying to think of something before I'm reminded by the official commentary.

Verdict: Don't miss this great tribute to a terrific actress, who was always true to her own moral compass.

No comments:

Post a Comment