Thursday, January 4, 2018

Yet More Videos

Where: Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden

When: closing April 22, 2018

No matter how dreadful the rest of the Hirshhorn may be, the videos are always worth a look.  The current show, "The Message: New Media Works" just proves this point.

Each film is intriguing, but the two I liked best were "Grosse Fatigue" which was filmed in the Smithsonian Archives - oh, the things they have, stacks and stacks full of things, and "How to Not be Seen."

The latter is a serious examination of the surveillance state and the lengths one has to go to not be seen by it.  I know I should have walked away, shaken and horrified, but the sound track is The Three Degrees singing, "When Will I See You Again."  So I lip-synced and toe-tapped my way through the video, withe a smile on my face.  I'm not sure if that's a mistake on the author's part, or a demonstration of my lack of depth and seriousness.

Verdict: Yet another fine film offering - allow plenty of time if you wish to see all of these in their entirety.

No comments:

Post a Comment