Sunday, December 31, 2017

National Parks in Stamps

Where: National Postal Museum

When: closing March 25, 2018

After I saw the spectacular "Post Secret" show at the National Postal Museum, all thought of dropping that venue from my museum rounds vanished.  This was the first time I'd been back since seeing one of my favorite shows of 2017 there, and, although this was not up to that standard, it was interesting and worth the trip to the Union Station area.

More perhaps about the National Parks than about stamps, many intriguing artifacts were on display including: Ansel Adams' stamp album, a Ranger uniform from the 1920s (pretty much identical to uniforms today) and a Yellowstone Hotel Owney badge (Owney was the small dog who rode on the mail trains in the 1890s, and people everywhere gave him little tags to wear).

I learned that Yellowstone was the first National Park, not just in the United States, but anywhere in the world.  It became a model for other national parks here and in other countries.  Truly, in a list of things that the United States has done to improve the world, the National Park system needs to appear.

Both Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt are commended for their service to National Parks.  Never forget: it's thanks to Teddy Roosevelt that the Grand Canyon is preserved for future generations and not overrun by developers.  And FDR's Civilian Conservation Corps made improvements in the parks that are still used today.

I also saw a beautiful stamp of Wolf Trap, one of my favorite places to see a concert or play.  I would love to have a print of this stamp - I must investigate if that is available...

Verdict: If you like the National Parks, be sure to check out this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment