Thursday, January 18, 2018

This Post Brought to You by the Letter T

Where: American History Museum

When: closing July 4, 2018

Since I was at American History anyway, to see the "Religion in Early America" exhibit, I thought I'd give these four display cases a look.  Focused on children's television, they highlight the different purposes of shows geared to kids, from the early years of Howdy Doody and Bozo the Clown, to Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Originally, children's television was all about selling products.  And, let's be honest, it's still about that.  But along the way, some notion of educational value has crept in, so kids can learn counting and letters from Sesame Street, in both English and Spanish, and Bill Nye instilled a love of science in a generation of children.  Since he was on in the 90s, I missed that, much to my chagrin.

Of course, Muppet fan that I am, I thought the best part was seeing Oscar the Grouch (picture above).  He's my favorite of the Sesame Street muppets - so irritable and unpleasant.  Because, let's be honest, a little Grover can go a long way.

Verdict: A fun trip down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment