Sunday, October 10, 2010

Up Where We Belong

Where: National Museum of the American Indian

When: until January 2, 2011

I've now finished with exhibits closing this year. January 2011 is a banner month for show closings - the most I've seen in over a year of taking in exhibits. It's a lucky thing I'm starting to go see these in October, as otherwise, I might not be able to see them all!

This is an interesting show - about Native American contributions to American popular music. Many more performers than you probably realize are Native Americans (or of Native American descent), including Jimi Hendrix, whose coat is pictured here.

I hadn't heard of all the musicians in the show - my knowledge of bands performing Native music is non-existent. I had certainly heard of Redbone - their "Come and Get Your Love" was playing in the back of the exhibit, where there is a TV and places to sit and watch videos.

Native Americans have been influential in jazz, blues, folk, country and rock music and the exhibit is a trip down a musical memory lane.

Verdict: The Hendrix coat is worth seeing all on its own, and unless you're a Native American music expert, you'll certainly learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment