Sunday, October 24, 2010

In the Tower: Mark Rothko


Where: National Gallery of Art, East Building

When: until January 2, 2011

I realize that this is unfair, but I have much higher expectations of shows in the Tower area of the National Gallery than I do of shows in other parts of the museum. I think it's because it's just so time consuming to get to the Tower, when I arrive, I want to see something that makes me think, "Wow, this was worth the trip." If you're a fan of Rothko, you'll probably think just that; for the rest of us, well...

I will say, on a positive note, that the National Gallery has done a top-notch job in displaying Rothko's collection of black on black works. One feels as if one is in a chapel, which I believe is the intent. Excellent number of pieces in the room; they go together thematically; one feels somber - really well done. The Hirshhorn would do well to learn a thing or two from this show.

My problem is that I don't really want to look at numerous black on black pieces - I'm left thinking, "So?" What's the point, really? It's lots of black paint, some of it lighter in shade. Perhaps it's meant to reflect our dark, pointless society? Somehow, that message is not coming through to me.

Verdict: If you like Rothko, it's worth the trek. If you don't, save your energy for something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment