Sunday, October 17, 2010

Colorforms

Where: Hirshhorn Museum

When: through January 2, 2011

I always learn something when I go to an exhibit, and my trip to Colorforms was no exception. I'm not sure that this was the impression the Hirshhorn wanted to make on visitors, but I was left with a distinct appreciation for the art of setting up a museum exhibit.

I suspect that if you set up an exhibit really well, no one notices. I know I've been to over 100 exhibits in the past year, and I've never given a thought to how it was organized. Why were some pictures put together? Why were a specific number of paintings put in one room and other paintings put in another? How do you light an exhibit for maximum effect?

The reason I bring up these issues is that the Colorforms exhibit is the most oddly organized show I've seen. It seemed as if I was walking forever to get through it all - only a few paintings in any one room, and so much white space as backdrop. I'm a great walker, so the fact that I had to walk was not a problem. It just seems that the show was so spread out, I couldn't connect one group of works with another.

The first room featured some pieces by Larry Poons, which I thought would make excellent wrapping paper - I must check the gift shop on my next trip to the Hirshhorn. The second room featured an installation by Fred Sandback that involved yarn strung between the ceiling and the floor. Not sure if this goes in the "not art" category; I certainly could do it, but I know I wouldn't, so perhaps it is art.

There was an installation that was listed as being in "low light." If this is what the Hirshhorn thinks is low light, I'd hate to see what they think is total darkness. I literally could not see my hand in front of my face, and was bumping into walls on my way to the piece. Finally, a guard told me I was in the wrong spot (a booming disembodied voice - made me jump), and I stumbled out. Couldn't tell you what that was supposed to be.

Finally, there was an installation involving hazelnut pollen scattered on the floor. I'll grant you, it's a lovely yellow color, but I'm not sure it's art if you can scrape it off your car in the springtime.

Verdict: Lower your expectations for this show, and if you manage to see what was at the end of the long dark corridor - let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment