Sunday, October 24, 2010

American Modernism - The Shein Collection

Where: National Gallery of Art, East Building

When: until January 2, 2011

This exhibition features works by many artists, all of them first-generation American modernists. It's a small show, only 20 works, so if you're going at lunch time, you can check out the Mark Rothko exhibit in the tower as well. See my next post for my thoughts on Rothko.

I can't really call this show a disappointment, as I'm not much of a fan of this type of art. It's not traditional enough for me to appreciate the technique and it's not "over the top" enough for me to really enjoy. I went to the show thinking I wouldn't much care for it, and I was right.

My attention was caught by a Marcel Duchamp piece called Fresh Widow. It's a wooden window with leather panes. The window was built by someone else, a carpenter, so no credit to Duchamp for it. Also, the notes next to the piece told me that he insisted the leather panes be shined each day. Presumably, he wasn't the one doing the shining. Tough luck for the person who was. Makes me roll my eyes.

Also, Georgia O'Keefe made an appearance. After my surprising encounter with Sky with Flat White Cloud, I was prepared to look at this piece with an open mind. I needn't have bothered - yet another vagina dressed up like a flower painting. Boring.

Verdict: If you like early modern art, you'll enjoy this, but otherwise, give this one a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment