Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Spending a Little Time with Frederick Douglass

Where: National Gallery of Art Library, East Building

When: closing June 14, 2019

Selected items from Frederick Douglass' family are currently on display in the National Gallery's library.  There are photographs, an original typescript of a speech he gave and a variety of letters, many of them with lovely penmanship.

Along with the display is a brochure, but no other notes.  I've seen this before, and it find it less than helpful.  I don't really need a full brochure, but I would like a bit of explanation of what I'm seeing.  A little stand with maybe three paragraphs of text would be ideal.

That having been said, it's a nice display, as all of the library displays are, and if you're interested in Frederick Douglass, I can see that this would be something you wouldn't want to miss.

Verdict: Fine for Douglass enthusiasts, but everyone else can probably give this a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment