Saturday, May 4, 2019

Whole Lot of Groaning Going On

Where: Hirshhorn Museum

When: closing September 2, 2019

This is one of those weird Hirshhorn exhibits that I just don't understand.  According to the wall notes, Enrico David's work is an exploration of the human form through a variety of techniques.  And I suppose that's true.  The figures are generally human or human-like, and he does use a variety of different methods in his work.  So far, so good.  My problem is that I'm just not feeling anything when I look at this stuff, and (again, according to the wall notes) I'm meant to feel empathy.

Many of the works are of people grimacing, as if in physical pain or in some sort of horrible existential angst.  And that would move me to pity, if they were actual living beings, but they're not, so it just seems gruesome.

The first piece is a revolving set of wooden figures, and they reminded me of the Beatles (their hair is moptop-ish, and I'm guessing that's why).  As I stood there, others came into the space and also mentioned the Beatles, so it wasn't just me.  They just turn around on a small platform, so they're not awful.  The woman pictured here in the pink and black twist doesn't appear miserable either, so again, not awful.

Most of the rest of it is a big silent wail.  Yeesh, the best thing I can say is that it's in the inner ring of the 2nd floor, so it's smaller than an outer ring show.  Oh, and did I mention that most of the works are "Untitled" - sigh.

Verdict: If you like looking at misery, run right over.  Otherwise, feel free to walk on by.

No comments:

Post a Comment