Saturday, April 27, 2019

Well, I Liked the Painting on the NGA Website

Where: National Gallery of Art, East Building, Mezzanine Level

When: closing September 15, 2019

When I saw the notice about this show on the National Gallery's website, I was drawn to the painting they showed, and had been looking forward to seeing more of Jackson's work.  Turns out, the painting on the website is the pick of the show's litter.

There are lots of works entitled "Painting" with a date.  If I've taken the time and effort to come see your stuff, the least you can do is give it a name.  Some of his work reminded me of Jackson Pollack, and since I don't care for Pollack, that's not a good thing.

I did like the quote from the wall notes: Painting far exceeds the things that were used to make it.  Okay, I agree with that.  The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Verdict: All in all, not my bag.  If you like Jackson, this is a nice presentation of his works.  It's a small show with plenty of room to walk around.  Well done, curators.  I just don't like the art.

No comments:

Post a Comment