Saturday, December 30, 2017

The New York-Mexico Connection

Where: Smithsonian American Art Museum

When: closing March 18, 2018

Good news for museum-goers in DC: the government will not shut down before January 19!  Although it may shut down then, we still have a few weeks to see wonderful things, and I've been rushing to visit as much as I can.

If you can wait until next week to visit, I'd advise you to do so.  The crowds in the week between Christmas and New Year's Day are always huge and this year is no exception; I always assume they're people from out of town whose local hosts need some quiet time and send them to the Mall to have their house to themselves for a bit.  Whoever they are, there are hordes of them.  That Vermeer show I saw a few weeks ago at the National Gallery had need of those ropes to keep everyone in line.  So glad I saw that already.

A show I saw before Christmas was the Rufino Tamayo retrospective at SAAM.  Tamayo was a Mexican artist who spent time in and was influenced by New York City, and this show focuses on the works he created there or were inspired by his time in the metropolis.

This was my first exposure to Tamayo, and I'm not sure that his work is really to my taste.  It's both figurative and abstract, which is interesting, but I just didn't connect with it.  I'm willing to believe the fault is mine.  The work pictured above is one that made me think of the phrase "setting loose the dogs of war."  It's both disturbing and thought-provoking.  You'll notice there are bones at the dog's feet, but they pay no attention in their zeal to attack.

Verdict: Not really to my taste, but if you are a fan of his work, or are interested in Mexican art, I would recommend a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment