Thursday, October 5, 2017

Best Thing I've Seen Ever at the Postal Museum

Where: National Postal Museum

When: through January 1, 2018

Okay, first of all, how is it that I'm already seeing things closing in 2018!?!?  I'm sure both the National Gallery and the Smithsonian will add in more shows that will close in November and December, but at the moment, there are none.  There are exhibits closing in October, and then it's on to January.  Crazy.

I confess, I'd considered eliminating the Postal Museum from my rounds not too long ago.  It's inconvenient to get there for a lunch hour visit, and the shows are usually, well, kind of dull.  The sort of thing I would probably review more kindly if it didn't take me so long to get there and get back.

But, wow.  This show, called "Post Secret: The Power of a Postcard," is amazing.  Truly amazing.  The Post Office has a program, whereby anyone can send an anonymous postcard to Frank Warren, the found of the program.  On the postcard, the sender writes a secret that is both absolutely true and has never been shared before.  The project started in 2004, when Warren handed out postcards to strangers within a mile of the museum (by which time, I had changed jobs and moved across town, hence I knew nothing about this).  He's written books full of the cards he's received and he posts new ones at this blog: https://postsecret.com/.  If you can't get to the show, check this out.

The photo above is of one of the object people send in, in addition to postcards.  I love everything about it, except obviously, that this person has a Mom with a boyfriend he/she hates.  But, it really grabbed me - the colors and the whimsy of the plate, juxtaposed with the pain of the message.  Fantastic.

Verdict: You've got plenty of time to see this show, and if you won't be in DC before January, check out the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment