Monday, October 2, 2017

A Look Back at the Future of America

Where: Smithsonian American Art Museum

When: through September 17, 2017

As I believe I mentioned when I blogged about the Kennedy photos at American History, it's hard for those of us who see the 1960s, particular the early 1960s, as history to realize how much it was the future to those living it.  The world was changing; a young new leader was taking over, and everyone was anticipating a new chapter in the American story.

Kennedy was the most photographed president ever, and for good reason.  He was photogenic, as was his wife and their two small children.  My favorite shot in the exhibit is one of JFK and Caroline.  Both in this show and in the photos at American History, the ones with her seem less staged, more real.  Her love for her father comes through, and I don't think a child that small can fake emotions.

The other aspect of the show that I loved was the emphasis on the arts.  JFK believed that the arts were a crucial part of American life, and Jackie was instrumental in both bringing the Mona Lisa to the National Gallery of Art for three weeks (I had no idea!) and in saving the Renwick - which I did know.

Verdict: A fine exhibit that gives the visitor a real look at a vibrant time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment