Saturday, September 6, 2014

Barbara Kruger: Belief + Doubt

Where:  Hirshhorn Museum & Sculpture Garden

When: through December 2014

I've seen this installation many times in visits to other exhibits at the Hirshhorn since it was put up in August of 2012.  As you can see from the picture, much of the wording is so gigantic, you can't help but see it.  I've enjoyed reading the thought-provoking questions and statements over the past two years (I can't believe it's been up that long!) and will miss them when they're taken down.  I especially like the fact that many of the sentiments against consumerism continue on the floor of the gift shop.  Art is good; ironic art is even better.

My only criticism, and I didn't even realize that this was true until I made a point of reading everything, is that the words are so large that it's hard to read them close up.  Because of where it's placed (on and around the escalators), you can't really stand back to see the words.  I do like this placement, as it means you can't miss the message, but at the same time, it's awkward to read.

Verdict: The next time you're at the Hirshhorn, take a few minutes to read these giant words - love it or hate it, it's impossible to ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment