Saturday, March 10, 2012

Picasso's Drawings, 1890–1921: Reinventing Tradition

Where: National Gallery of Art

When: through May 6, 2012

According to the exhibit introduction, Picasso was one of the world's greatest draftsmen.  I'd always thought of him as a cubist painter whose work I didn't much appreciate, but this exhibit shows another side of his work, one I liked rather more.

This show features drawings from the first three decades of his career; the first offering is a drawing of a statue of Hercules owned by his family.  I thought it wasn't bad, until I read that he was nine years old when he drew it!  Really, really good for a nine-year old.

The still lifes on display are quite linear; you can see the cubism emerging.  The two pieces I liked the best ("Bottle and Wineglass" and "Composition with a Violin") were both done in 1912.  There's an Art Deco feel to both of them that appealed to me very much.

This is a much smaller show than I had anticipated; it's only three rooms, and so easily managed in a lunch hour viewing.  Because Picasso's style changed so much over the course of 30 years, there's a wide variety of genres on view here.  It's got something for everyone!  My only complaint is that it's also very popular, so expect to share your experience with many of your closest friends. 

Verdict: Go see this show for another look at Picasso - it's time well spent. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog. You may be interested on a post on the Picasso exhibition currently in Sydney that is going to Toronto in April. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/picasso-exhibition-art-gallery-of-new.html

    ReplyDelete