Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dark Matters: Selections from the Collection

Where: Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden

When: through May 13, 2012

Oh, Hirshhorn.  I try to like you, I really do, and then you go and annoy me to pieces.  Why must it always be this way with you?

I went to see this show, which is supposed to be a collection of Hirshhorn pieces from the last 60 years all dealing with darkness.  I was promised a wide selection of pieces that would include items from many genres and artistic movements.  What did I actually see?  One room, containing a couple of pieces, including a piece by Joseph Beuys entitled F.I.U. Blackboards which was two black panels with a bucket containing water and a rag in front of them.  Setting aside my desire to roll my eyeballs at that great work, I looked in vain for the rest of the show.  Surely there must be more than this?  I walked all over the lower level, but to no avail.  I finally asked the guard in the room with the pail, and she said this was all there was right now.

Seriously?  This show has been up since last month - why have most of it closed off?  And if you need to close the show, why not let people know that?  I'll have to try again another day, but "Suprasensorial" aside, you're not winning me over, Hirshhorn; you're just not.

Verdict: I can't really evaluate the show based on only two pieces, but I'd make sure I had something else to see before venturing over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment