Monday, January 6, 2020

Diplomacy Behind the Scenes

Where: National Postal Museum

When: closing January 26, 2020

I'm writing this on January 1, 2020, so I'll wish all my readers a Happy New Year and a happy new decade.  It's odd to think we're now living in the Twenties; let's hope there's just as much fun, but not so much depression, as in the 20th century version.

I went over to the Postal Museum this week, and saw two shows.  The first was this one on diplomatic couriers. It's typical of their displays - full of information and well laid out, but I'm not sure that it's worth a trip over to Union Station to see.  Every so often, I toy with the idea of dropping this venue from my list of places to visit, and then I feel bad - who else will go if I don't?  And, every once in a great while, there's something really terrific, so it stays on the list.

Diplomatic couriers have been around in their current form for 100 years, hence the exhibit.  The service was established in Paris in 1918, to support the American Commission to Negotiate Peace, although couriers for sensitive materials have been used since the Revolutionary War.  There are now 100 badged couriers who send pouches, large and small, to over 275 diplomatic missions worldwide.

Verdict: I enjoyed looking at the "then and now" photos that show how the service has changed over a century, but I'm not sure I can recommend a special trip to see this, unless you're a great fan of postal history.

No comments:

Post a Comment