Saturday, January 4, 2020

A New Favorite Artist

Where: Renwick Gallery

When: closing January 5, 2020

I feel as if I've seen Michael Sherrill's work before, probably at the Renwick, and I really like it.  It's colorful, and whimsical, and (somewhat) practical, and even when it's oddly shaped, it feels fun and accessible, sort of like the kind of objects a Dr. Seuss character would have in his house.

The first room of the show that I entered was full of teapots.  As a tea drinker, I'm always interested in seeing any display of tea accouterments, and these range from the lovely if mundane to the wild gold extravagance pictured here.

Just as the Ginny Ruffner show left me with a question, this exhibit did as well.  If the object in question is not functional, is it still craft?  Or is it then art?  Not that a functional craft can't be art, because it certainly can be, but if it has no function other than to exist, is it still a craft?  I feel as if the answer is no, but I'm quite willing to be persuaded otherwise.

The one quibble I have with this show, which overall I liked very much, is that it's set up oddly.  I entered directly from the Ruffner exhibit, and discovered later that this was the second room.  I walked through the whole display, and only then saw the first room at the very end.  Some signage directing me to the start would have been helpful.

Verdict: Go see this exhibit and then head to the Teaism close by for lunch or an afternoon snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment