Saturday, June 29, 2019

Have No Fear

Where: Hirshhorn Museum

When: closing July 24, 2019

This show is a combination of Thai cooking (the title is a reference both to Thai political groups and to types of curry) and protest art.  Since this would have been the first food/art combination I've visited, I was disappointed that the food part wasn't in operation when I turned up.  Perhaps I was there too early; I went at noon.  It's also possible the food portion isn't operating every day.  Whatever the timing issues, I was left with only the art.

The first room, the one with the cooking stations, have drawings of protesters and political situations on the walls.  And when I say "on the walls," I mean directly painted on the walls - not hung in frames.  In fact, two people were working on more drawings as I walked around.  I noticed lots of U.S. imagery, as well as pictures that I am assuming were from Thai news stories.  So, if you go, don't worry that you won't understand any of the art.

The second and third rooms contained videos - a series of documentary shorts that I believe are shown on a rotating basis.  I didn't have a very strong reaction to either of them, as I can't remember much about them now...

Verdict: Since the point of this exhibit is to combine food and art, I feel as if I missed a lot by not scheduling my visit for the curry service.  Check the website to see when the food will be available!

No comments:

Post a Comment