Sunday, June 9, 2019

An Architect I Grew to Appeciate

Where: National Portrait Gallery

When: closing June 16, 2019 (although I have my doubts)

Something I've noticed about the "In Memoriam" space at the NPG is that a portrait is only guaranteed to remain up for its originally allotted time if no one else dies.  Since I see from the Smithsonian website that a portrait of Leah Chase is now on display, I'm not sure this one of I.M. Pei is still up.  Not to be morbid, but perhaps they should have two spaces for the recently deceased?

Pei's work is something I've developed an appreciation for over the years.  The Kennedy Library is phenomenal - the feeling you get when you see the sailboat out on the lawn through the window - I can't really put it into words.  My visit there many years ago taught me that architecture can be emotional.

Those glass pyramids in the courtyard of the Louvre look weird from the outside, but bring in so much light when you're inside.  And as much as I've never been a fan of the National Gallery of Art East Building, it's the best possible home for the modern art collection.  None of it belongs in the West Building.

As for the portrait itself, I like that he's standing in a doorway, as if to welcome the viewer into his world.  And the photographer?  Our old friend, Yousuf Karsh.  And wasn't I filled with self-satisfaction when I saw that name and recognized it!

Verdict: If it's still up, take a few minutes to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment