Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Light and Dark in Renaissance Italy

Where: National Gallery of Art, West Building

When: closing January 20, 2019*

I remarked a few posts ago that I forgot to take a photograph of the Diane Arbus show at SAAM; I forgot to bring my journal to take notes of this show. Middle age is not for sissies.

So, I'm winging this post, relying on my (obviously) feeble memory to tell you what I thought of this exhibit.  The thing I recall best is that chiaroscuro is made up of two words: chiaro (light) and scuro (dark).  In addition to providing me a guide to pronunciation, it's also a great description of these works: they are both light and dark.

As longtime readers of this blog know, prints are just not my thing.  They tend to be lots of black and white, or black and some background color, and I like things with a multi-color palette.  Plus, they tend to focus on what to me are obscure bible passages or mythological references, neither of which are my favorite topics.

This show was nicely organized and well laid out.  If you are a fan of woodcuts, you should absolutely make time to see this (shutdown allowing).  If you, like me, are not a fan, you can stop bemoaning the fact that you haven't seen it yet.  I really can't remember much about the show (other than the linguistic reference), and I can recall details about shows I loved for years.  Ask me about the Yinka Shonibare retrospective at African Art that was 8 or 9 years ago - I remember it like it was yesterday.

Verdict: Fine exhibit for woodcut fans; everyone else can feel free to give it a pass.

*Due to the government shutdown, the National Gallery of Art is closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment