Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Just Not Feeling It

Where: Hirshhorn Museum

When: closing January 27, 2019*

Usually, I go to the Hirshhorn and hate whatever I see.  Not always, but usually.  I was actually sort of looking forward to the Charline Von Heyl show, believe it or not.  She's only a few years older than I am, and I'm interested in what my contemporaries are doing in the art world.  This is her largest museum show to date in the United States, and I liked the idea of being part of that.  But, you know what?  My reaction to her work was "meh."  I didn't love it; I didn't hate it; I just had no reaction at all.

At first, I was intrigued by her work "Melencolia," as the wall notes tell me it's inspired by Durer (and I really like Durer).  But as I looked at her piece, I could find no connection.  It could have been inspired by anyone.

There were a lot of people there, much more than usual at the concrete dount.  The week between Christmas and New Year's is like that on the Mall.  And that crowd of people seemed to be connecting to her work.  I saw no rolling eyeballs, no children making negative comments, no shrugged shoulders.  So I guess it's just me.

Granted, modern American/European art is not my favorite.  But her stuff just left me shaking my head and thinking, "What is this?  I don't get it."  It wasn't that I didn't like it; it was that I was confused by it.

Verdict: I can't really recommend this based on my own experience, but others seemed to take to it.

*Due to the government shutdown, the Smithsonian is currently closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment