Monday, July 16, 2018

Back to the Freer

Where: Freer Gallery of Art

When: closing November 4, 2018

I had not been back to the Freer since its grand re-opening, so I was doubly anxious to see this show.  I like Japanese screens very much, and I was eager to see what changes had been made.

I'm happy to report that my previous description of the museum: beautiful things, beautifully displayed, still holds true.  I still felt a sense of relaxation just walking inside the doors.  It is still my second favorite Smithsonian museum (a close second to the Sackler).

What I really like that's new is the use of red plaques in the rooms containing the permanent collection.  They point out the highlights of each room, so if you have a short amount of time, you can see the "best" of the Freer very easily.  For instance, I saw a knife, carved from a meteor that hit Japan in 1621, the only one of four that were crafted that survives to the present day.  How great is that?  It's art from outer space!

What I came to see was a display of Japanese screens, depicting a sense of place.  Note that these are winter scenes, which were put up in spring and summer to give the viewer a sense of coolness.  Very appropriate for DC in the summertime.  The set of two that I photographed are called "Resilient Friendship."  I love that term; aren't resilient friendships something we all need?

Verdict: It's the Freer, so it's wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment