Sunday, July 1, 2018

Art at the Crossroads

Where: African Art Museum

When: closing September 3, 2018

The Swahili Coast marks the intersection of Africa and the Indian Ocean.  Over centuries, peoples and their artistic traditions have met and mixed here, and this exhibit is a survey of what that mingling has produced.  This melting pot of cultures has allowed Islamic influences and traditional African art to meld into a distinct set of artworks: jewelry, textiles, furniture and other woodwork, photography - even board games.

Jewelry is well-represented in this show, and it was an important commodity in years past.  It was a sound investment, which allowed women some autonomy.  It functioned as a type of private nest egg, separate from their husband's wealth.

The pieces that most impressed me were the beautifully carved wooden doorways, the craftsmanship was wonderful.  Intricate in design and expert in execution, they are a way of bringing art into one's home - making the necessary exceptional.

The photography section reminds us that the "selfie" craze is just the latest manifestation of the human desire to be documented, to be seen in a certain way or with certain other people.  These photographs served purposes very similar to those of Western portraits - social signifiers that indicated that the subject was worthy of being remembered, that their image was worthy of preservation.


Just when I thought I'd left the exhibit behind, what should I see but this small robot, named Pepper, who wanted to tell me about the show and about the Swahili language.  Since part of my job is tracking news about automation and the advent of robots in the workplace, how could I resist a conversation with a real "live" example?  Pepper did most of the talking, although it did ask me to learn some Swahili words and say them out loud.  My only criticism, and I mean this to be constructive, is that Pepper is really short.  I'm not tall, and I was stooping over to touch the screen.  Perhaps this is meant to ensure that it is not intimidating to children?

Verdict: An interesting exhibit and cultural history lesson in one.  And a talking robot!

No comments:

Post a Comment