Monday, June 4, 2018

In Memoriam: Tom Wolfe

Where: National Portrait Gallery

When: not certain, probably won't be up for long

I happened upon this portrait as I was taking a walk around the museum, not to see anything in particular, but just to get out of the office for a bit.

Tom Wolfe was an American author and journalist, associated with New Journalism.  There are any number of obits available, so I won't bother going into his life story.

This photo was taken by Yousuf Karsh, whose work I have admired in several shows at the NPG.  It's nicely constructed, with Wolfe in his signature white suit (he probably could have gone anywhere wearing something else and been unrecognized).  I like the juxtaposition of Wolfe and the artwork behind him.

Verdict: Not sure how long this will be on display; it's not even listed on the Smithsonian website.  If you want to see it, best not to wait too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment