Thursday, June 14, 2018

First Thing I Remember

Where: National Portrait Gallery

When: closing July 8, 2018

The first thing I can remember in my life was waking up one morning, waiting for my mother to come into my bedroom to get me ready for the day.  When she didn't arrive, I went to her bedroom, to find her with the TV on.  Robert Kennedy had been killed the night before, and she was watching the news reports of his death.

That's now 50 years ago, which seems impossible, but there we are.  This lithograph by Roy Lichtenstein shows Kennedy as a young, energetic man with a message.  It exudes movement and urgency, a determination to make the world a different place.

This portrait was used on the cover of TIME magazine on May 24, 1968.

Verdict: Worth a look if you're at the Portrait Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment