Monday, November 27, 2017

Vermeer Without the Crowds

Where: National Gallery of Art, West Building, Main Floor

When: closing January 21, 2018

Several years ago, there was a Vermeer exhibit at the National Gallery that was so popular they had to issue timed-entry tickets.  If you missed that, or you'd like to see Vermeer without thousands of your closest friends, the new show on Dutch genre paintings at the National Gallery is just the thing for you.  Although there is a rope set up quite a distance from the exhibit entrance and extra docents about to hand out brochures, I walked right in with no problem when I went at lunch time week before last.

It's not just Vermeer, but his work in company with other Dutch painters of the same period.  They were clearly copying each other, as the same scenes and characters appear in several different works.  I read a review that said Vermeer's pieces were clearly the best in each room, and that may well be true.  I'll say I saw plenty to like, both by Vermeer and by others.

I started playing a game as I looked at the pieces, which I called "Where's the Dog?"  So many paintings include a four-legged friend that it felt strange to see one without a canine representative.  Most of the dogs were vaguely Spaniel-ish, so I felt right at home.

There's also a map of Delft from the Gallery's Library in a lounge area (I'd not seen a rest stop in a show before - perhaps also due to anticipated crowds?); nice to see something from the Library's collection make it into an actual show.

Verdict: Great way to see Vermeer without growing old in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment