Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Sometimes You Get What You Expect

Where: National Portrait Gallery, West Building

When: through January 7, 2018

As many exhibits of drawings as I've seen, I just can't warm to them.  I think it's the fact that they're not terribly colorful, and pen and ink just doesn't do it for me.  These are on loan from the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in Rotterdam, and are from artists working in what is now Belgium and the Netherlands.

The earliest works, in the first room of the show, are from the 1400s.  They are quite rare, only about 700 of them exist, so to see several examples is quite something.  Although I can't say these are antiquities, they are really old - the discovery of North America by Europeans was decades in the future.

Farther on, there are two rooms with Mannerist works, which is great if you like Mannerism, which I can take or leave.  I did like the Bruegel landscapes, so it's not as if there was nothing to catch my eye.

Verdict: Sometimes, I'm surprised at what I see at a show, but not in this case.  If you like drawing, check this out.  Otherwise, you can give it a quick skim, or pass it by entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment