Monday, February 27, 2017

Text as Art

Where: Sackler Gallery

When: through February 20, 2017

This show is the first major exhibit in the United States on the Koran; the works on display come from Istanbul's Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts.  Because figural imagery is not allowed, the artwork in these books is geometric and abstract, with some vegetal images as well.  I was reminded of Frank Lloyd Wright's window designs when I looked at some of the pages.

One of the Korans on display is a monumental size - I didn't realize there was a size after elephant, but monumental makes that look small.  The Koran on display is one of the largest in the world, so it was great to see it.  Long-time readers will know how much I enjoy seeing the largest, or smallest or rarest of something.

I was also reminded of illuminated Biblical manuscripts, so perhaps there's some universal tendency to combine religious texts and art?

Verdict: A fine show, one I'm glad I made time to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment