Sunday, January 1, 2017

Waste No Time

Where: National Gallery of Art

When: through January 2, 2017

You've got one day, tomorrow, to see this show.  I saw it a few weeks ago, but I've not been blogging recently, due to family obligations and the holidays.  My New Year's resolution?  Blog regularly no matter what!

This is worth seeing, if you're a fan of photography.  It includes photography and videos from the National Gallery's collection and the recent additions from the Corcoran's collection.  Long time rivals must now live together - perhaps a lesson in that for all of us?

There were several pieces I really liked in this large multi-room show, but my notes are scribbled, and it's been so long since I visited that I'm not sure exactly what I wrote.  Sigh, yet another reason to blog more frequently.

The show is divided into five sections: Movement, Sequence, Narrative, Studio and Identity.  It's a good way to show the pieces and make sense of them, as it gives you a a theme to focus on while you're seeing an almost endless number of photographs.  One artist I was very happy to see again was Lalla Essaydi, a Moroccan born artist, who I'd seen previously at the Museum of African Art.  Her photographs of women with Arabic script written on their skin are really thought-provoking.

Verdict: If you have a chance to see this tomorrow, do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment