Saturday, August 23, 2014

Perspectives: Chiharu Shiota

Where: Sackler Gallery

When: August 18-21, 2014

I saw something I'd never seen before at a museum this week: an installation of an exhibit.  Usually, when a new show is being put up, the doors are locked or dividers surround the work, so you can't see what's going on.  A bit frustrating, but understandable.  I wouldn't want people looking at my half-finished projects either.

The Sackler took a different approach to their latest offering in the "Perspectives" series.  Rather than hiding the efforts of the artist, they've put the creative process on display.  I went over on Tuesday and saw about half of what's in this picture.  No work was going on when I was there, but I thought that might be because it was lunch time.  I went back later in the week, and they were holding some sort of press reception, so lots of activity, but the piece looked pretty complete.

I didn't get to see the artist at work exactly, but I did get to see the display in process.  It was interesting, and I hope they do this again.  Maybe then I'll go at a non-lunch time period and see the artist actually at his craft.  I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product when it opens at the end of the month.

Verdict: If you get a chance to see a work being installed, take advantage of the chance to look "behind the curtain."

No comments:

Post a Comment