Friday, November 25, 2011

Made in Chicago: The Koffler Collection

Where: Smithsonian American Art Museum

When: through January 2, 2012

The Kofflers were Chicagoans who collected art by Chicago artists.  Eventually, they had amassed a large enough collection to warrant starting a foundation, and the collection was made part of the Smithsonian in 1979.

Several pieces caught my eye:

  • Alligator Spring by Bill Benway - this reminded me of the exhibit (also at American Art) on the decaying of the earth
  • Mytystic Pairanoiya by Gladys Nilsson - I liked the colors - there is something comical about it
  • Homage to Archimboldo by Theodore Halkin - not quite as easy to see the larger picture in this, as in a real Archimboldo, but I was happy to be reminded of that very fun show
Verdict: Well worth a look; it's not an enormous exhibit, so it fits easily into a lunchtime excursion.  I had never heard of the Kofflers before, so yet again, I've increased my score of knowledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment