Sunday, June 26, 2011

Walls Speak: The Narrative Art of Hildreth Meiere

Where: National Building Museum

When: through November 27, 2011

Yet another treat in store for the fan of Art Deco is this small show on the muralist and mosaicist, Hildreth Meiere. She was prominent during her lifetime, enjoying many commissions in public buildings and churches.

One of her commissions was the Nebraska State Capitol; the gorgeous Art Deco work makes me want to visit Lincoln (a desire I have never had previously). She also designed a mural on the progress of women for the Chicago World's Fair and the sculptures on the front of Radio City Music Hall.

Verdict: Yet another show worth the $8 price of admission. I was unaware of her work before, but was very impressed with what I saw here. I only wish I could take a long trip to see all of her work!

No comments:

Post a Comment