Sunday, February 16, 2020

New Trends in Spanish Sculpture

Where: National Gallery of Art, West Building

When: closing February 17, 2019 (tomorrow!)

I'll say right up front that I'm not a fan of Spanish sculpture.  It's a lot of Mannerist figures, all elongated arms and legs, and lots of religious imagery.  Just not my cup of tea.  And Alonso Berruguete is apparently the person who started this all off.  Not the religious subject matter, that was firmly established before he returned to his native Spain from a decade in Italy, but the Mannerist style.

If you're wondering what Mannerism replaced, it's something called Hispano-Flemish style.  They had some examples on display, and I liked them.  Much better than all that exaggerated emotional angst, and the crazy limbs as a physical manifestation of the agitation inside.

I will say, if you like enormous altarpieces, you should under no circumstances miss this show.  When the wall notes say these are "monumental," they're not kidding.  Even broken into pieces, you get a sense of the massive works these would be in a church.  I couldn't help but think they'd give restive parishioners lots to look at, if the sermon got boring.

Verdict: Not my jam, but an excellent representation of this style.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete