Sunday, December 15, 2019

Any Day Featuring the Swedish Chef is a Good Day

Where: American History Museum

When: closing January 1, 2020

I went over to American History this week to have a stroll around the "American Stories" space.  I think they're going to swap out some of the older pieces for new acquisitions, so keep your eye out for a new and improved display in 2020.

I took with me a list of "highlights," as I was pressed for time and needed to get in and get out.  Happily, I didn't limit myself to what was on the list, as there's a lot there that I would have described as a highlight that didn't make the list.

There were baseball items, including Willie Mays' hat, glove and shoes, and a baseball from the 1937 All-Star Game, signed by that year's Yankee lineup.  Joe DiMaggio's signature is front and center.

They also have a piece of Plymouth Rock, which might be nothing more than legend.  The Pilgrims landed in 1620, but there's no mention of this specific spot until the 1700s.  Fake news is clearly not a new phenomenon.

But the best thing of all was the original Swedish Chef.  My favorite of the Muppets, then and now, Jim Henson and Frank Oz had to work together to bring him to life.  His culinary chaos never fails to entertain.

Verdict: No show that includes the Swedish Chef will get anything less than an enthusiastic two thumbs up from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment