Saturday, March 16, 2019

No Pottery, No Problem

Where: Freer Gallery of Art

When: closing mid-April 2019

First, I'm happy to report that the weekly mindfulness meditation class has returned to the Freer.  It's held on Tuesdays, starting  at 12:15.  The teacher is great, and it's a wonderful way to take a moment of relaxation in the midst of a stressful day.

And after the class, you can work in a visit to the Freer's collection - another way to take a break.  This week, I saw "The Peacock Room Revealed," which is the Peacock Room without any pottery on the shelves.  The gallery has removed the pieces that were there (I confess, I can't recall what they were - maybe that collection of lots of different styles that I saw several years ago), and while the staff is preparing to install a collection of blue and white porcelain, the shelves are empty.

Rather than bemoaning the emptiness, the Freer is billing this as a way to see the room all the more clearly.  And they're right.  I walked away with a greater appreciation of the room itself, when I wasn't distracted by other works of art.

Verdict: Even if you've visited the Peacock Room before, take a few moments to visit again.  You'll be surprised at what you notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment