Tuesday, February 5, 2019

A Hirshhorn Show I Didn't Hate!

Where: Hirshhorn Museum

When: closing February 3, 2019

Every so often, I go to see a show thinking, "I'm not going to like this."  Many times, especially when I'm headed to the Hirshhorn, my thought is correct!  Ugliness abounds at the concrete donut, as we know.  Sometimes though, my thought is not correct, and I'm pleasantly surprised.  This post is about one of those times.

Although I'd never heard of Sean Scully before, the wall notes tell me that he is one of the most influential painters of our age and at the center of abstract painting.  Shows how much I know.

The works on display here are bars of color, meant to represent the horizon over water - the landline of the show's title.  Ordinarily, anything smacking of monochromes or blocks of solid color gets the big eye-roll from me, but these I liked.  Many of the works are oil on aluminum, which lends them a bit of a sheen that appealed to me.  There are also oils on copper, which have a red hue to them.  There was one with shades of blue that I particularly liked; I'll even go so far as to say I'd put it in my house!

Verdict: This show will have closed by the time this posts, so I hope you were able to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment