Sunday, December 30, 2018

One of Those Shows I Should Have Liked, But Just Couldn't

Where: Smithsonian American Art Museum

When: closing January 6, 2019

Note: the closing date listed above assumes the federal government will re-open sometime in the next few days.  Since that seems unlikely, you should assume your last chance to see this show is January 1, 2019.  Obviously, this is no way to run a banana stand, and I am really angry that we're in this position AGAIN.  The closing of the Smithsonian is, in reality, the least of the problems with government shutdowns, and the fact that they have been able to remain open for the week between Christmas and New Year's Day, when they take in an enormous amount of money, is good.  Still, this is ludicrous.

Trevor Paglen describes his work as "experimental geography."  He documents things that are not meant to be seen, of which there are disturbingly many.  The item pictured here is "Trinity Cube," and it's made of irradiated glass from Fukushima.  The inner core is made of trinitite, which was created at the Trinity test site in Alamagordo, NM in 1945.  What's on display (lest you fear for your health) is an artist's proof; the original is located at Fukushima, and will be seen when it is safe to enter.

I confess, I felt rather confused by the layout of this show - where to begin and how to proceed?  I guess it makes no difference, but still...I like to have some idea of where I'm going.

I did like the drone photos (large sky pictures, with tiny drones in them); I made a game out of trying to find the drones.  Some of them I saw right away, but others required quite a bit of searching.

Mostly, I was just disoriented by the show.  I understand the point Paglen is making, and I believe it's an important one.  It's just that after the Trinity Cube and the drone pics, there wasn't a lot that held my interest.

Verdict: If you're interested in the surveillance state, be sure to see this show.  If you're looking for actual "art," you may want to look elsewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment