Saturday, November 17, 2018

Who Doesn't Like a God that Likes Dessert?

Where: Sackler Gallery

When: closing November 18, 2018

Go today to see this small display of works from Southeast Asia that demonstrate power.  Water and snakes were both viewed as potent symbols, and both appear here.  Interestingly enough, although snakes often have negative associations in the West, they were viewed as a positive force in South and Southeast Asia.

My favorite piece was the one of Ganesha, pictured here.  He has an elephant head and a belly full of sweets, as he is quite partial to dessert.  He is beloved as a friend of beginnings and remover of obstacles.  He always seems friendly in the representations I've seen, a companionable deity.

Verdict: I believe all of the works on display are from the Sackler's own collection, so I'm hoping I've not seen the last of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment