Sunday, October 28, 2018

So Now I'm an Expert on Burning Man

Where: Renwick Gallery

When: closing January 21, 2019

No, I've not seen all the shows closing in 2018 yet, but a friend of mine wanted to see the Burning Man show at the Renwick, so I saw this "out of order."  I've never been to Burning Man, nor really had any desire to go, but after seeing this show, I am certainly more curious about it.

The exhibit focuses on the art of Burning Man, and everyone who attends the festival is meant to be an artist of some sort.  People who only come to gawk and wear costumes are called "Sparkle Ponies" and not in a good way,

This is a very large show, taking up the entire top floor of the museum.  It's room after room of peculiar and fascinating works; the picture attached is of a mushroom-like piece that opens and shuts when a visitor stands in a particular spot.  It's odd, but fun.  The picture is of the view looking up into the piece.

The real capstone is the temple.  My friend suggested we save that for last, and I would make that recommendation to anyone who visits.  It's in the Grand Salon, so it's quite large.  Apparently, every year at Burning Man, there's a temple, and people come there and write tributes to people they have lost.  At the end of Burning Man, they burn the temple (and the Man).  People are writing tributes here as well; what they will do with this temple when the show ends in January, I do not know.

Verdict: Whether you know anything about Burning Man or not, this show is most definitely worth seeing.  Since the Renwick has re-opened, they've had one excellent exhibit after another, and I'm eager to see what they do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment