Sunday, May 6, 2018

You Really Need to See the Movie First

Where: National Air and Space Museum

When: closing May 28, 2018

The title of this post could easily be: "What if They Gave a Blockbuster and Nobody Came?" but that's awfully long.  It is, however, an excellent description of this recreation of the penultimate scene in "2001: A Space Odyssey."

In checking the Smithsonian website for details of current exhibits, I saw this one required advance tickets.  Since I tend to head out when I have time, making plans can be an issue, and so it was with a grumble in my heart that I signed up for a time and headed over.

Expecting to see a long line, imagine my surprise to be greeted with...nothing.  No lines, no wait, no one checking my ticket.  I just walked right up, put on the foot covers necessary to walk into the recreation, and that was that.  I was reminded of the time I needed tickets to see an original Leonardo da Vinci notebook they had on display some years back.  Ticket in hand, I walked over to the museum, and walked right in, no muss, no fuss.  They don't seem able to judge what will be popular and what will not.

I dutifully walked around the "room" and noted all the details.  Never having seen the movie this is meant to recreate, I am in no position to say if they've done a good job or not.   And, in fact, if you've not seen the movie (and I realize I may be a minority of one here), don't bother seeing this, as the grandeur will be lost on you as well.

Verdict: If ever I watch "2001,"  I'll be in a better position to tell you what I think of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment