Saturday, April 7, 2018

Ikats with a Friend

Where: Sackler Gallery

When: closing July 29, 2018

Usually, I go by myself to see exhibits.  I'm an introvert, so I can make my own fun just fine.  I get a nice walk to and from the venue, and I can take as long as I like in the show.  Plus, it gives me a break from work, where I spend a lot of time communicating with others.

This week, however, I took a friend with me to see the Ikats display at the Sackler.  She's a great fan of these textiles; she even wore an Ikat shirt in honor of our trip!  It was a lot of fun to go with her, and I realized I might be missing out on the insights that others bring to shows by always going alone.

Ikats are textiles made in Central Asia; they date back to the time of the Silk Road, yet are still wildly popular today.   I'd describe them as a sort of tie-dye, but this reflects my 1970s childhood and is a gross simplification.

This particular exhibit brings together some historical ikats and some ikat inspired creations by Oscar de la Renta.  The fabrics are quite large, so each room only contains a few examples, but you can get up quite close to them, to better appreciate the artistry involved.  I think my favorite pieces were a lovely de la Renta dress in a floral pattern (perfect for a summer wedding) and a carpet made of several pieces sewn together.  The notes about the carpet indicate that, "Perfection was obviously not a high priority."

Verdict: A fun show, especially if you like ikats or are interested in textiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment