Friday, August 25, 2017

The Artfulness of the Everyday

Where: National Gallery of Art, East Building

When: through September 4, 2017

This photo shows my view as I walked up to the Tower (now called Tower 3) to see the Theaster Gates exhibit.  "What on earth is this?" was my reaction.  As I approached, I saw it was a gigantic bookshelf, really a book-box, as it had four sides and a space in the middle.  All of the books are bound volumes of Ebony magazine.  I'm not entirely certain what this means, but it was intriguing.

There are several other pieces in this room, with a map on the wall to tell you what each piece is.  It's a bit confusing to figure out, so I just stood back and took it all in.  There are more pieces in the room with the elevator just off this room, and they were a bit tricky to decipher as well.

One of the wall notes read that the artist "...stakes a claim for the artfulness of the everyday."  I don't really have anything to add to that, other than to say the pieces are well-executed and hold your attention.

Verdict: If you don't mind the time it takes to get to Tower 3, I'd recommend looking at this small show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment