Sunday, April 9, 2017

No Trip to the 3rd Floor is Wasted

Where: Smithsonian American Art Museum

When: through April 2, 2017

I went to see Gene Davis: Hot Beat at the SAAM, and at least I got to see the wild and wonderful 3rd Floor.  As you can see from the picture, the floor, walls and ceiling are all patterned - no minimalism or austerity here.  Plus, that skylight is a beauty.  Good thing I was happy with this, as the show itself, well...

Davis painted stripes, some wide, some narrow, most colorful.  And I have nothing against colorful stripes, but is that really enough to get you a show at the Smithsonian?  Obviously, the answer is yes, but I just don't see that this is great art.  I'll grant you, it made me think of jazz and the piano, and if they'd had a sound track running, that would have been a great touch, but it just doesn't seem enough to make an artist.

Verdict: If colorful stripes are enough for you - this is a show I hope you didn't miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment