Saturday, March 4, 2017

Hooray! Hooray! Thomas Struth

Where: National Gallery of Art, East Building

When: through March 5, 2017

The National Gallery has had a very large number of photography exhibits over the past year or so.  I seem to recall it's an anniversary of the founding of the collection, and they acquired a large number of photographs when they took over the Corcoran.

This show is a celebration of the promised gift of 33 photographs from Robert E. Meyerhoff and Rheda Becker.  These are important photographs - ones that changed the medium.  Not being an expert in this field, I'll leave it to others to determine if that's an accurate description.

What I want to highlight is the inclusion of several works by Thomas Struth.  He's a German photographer who takes photos of people visiting museums.  I've seen one or two of his works before and just loved them.  I was delighted to see more of his work, and in this case, familiarity has NOT bred contempt.  I love the clean, crisp look of his photos, and of course, the subject matter is near and dear to my heart.

Verdict: Interesting show, made me wish for a Struth retrospective!

No comments:

Post a Comment