Saturday, November 19, 2016

Yinka Shonibare - Need I Say More?

Where: African Art Museum

When: through January 2, 2017

Imagine my delight when I discovered that Yinka Shonibare was among the African artists featured in this selection of contemporary video art.  I was off to the Mall with a spring in my step, and that spring was only enhanced by the fact that the barriers are down, and you can walk easily from one side of the Mall to the other!  Hurrah - no more walking all the way over to 12th street to get to the Sackler and its neighbors.

The Shonibare piece was "Un Ballo in Maschera," and I only wish I'd had time to watch it all the way through.  The dancers are clad in his trademark wax cloth and their movements are much like those of birds.  I wish I knew what that meant, as I'm sure it means something.  Gorgeous colors in the costuming and lots to think about - typical Shonibare.

The other videos are interested as well; the first one in the show is of a woman walking on olive oil, which is strangely captivating.  I was also intrigued by Theo Eshetu's kaleidoscope piece - so cool to look at, especially as you can see your own reflection in the mirrors.

My only complaint is that sometimes the sound bleeds over from piece to piece, but that's a small gripe.

Verdict: This show reminds me how much I like contemporary African art.  Worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment