Saturday, April 19, 2014

American Heroes

Where: National Museum of American History

When: through June 2, 2014

Although over 110,000 Japanese-Americans were interned during World War II, more than 33,000 young Japanese-American men served in the U.S. armed forces during the conflict.  It's amazing to me that someone would risk one's life for a country that had imprisoned his family, but that's what these men did.

Japanese-Americans served in the 100th Infantry Battalion, the 442nd Regimental Combat Team and the Military Intelligence Service. This Congressional Gold Medal was presented to them in 2010, 65 years after the war ended.  It is the highest civilian award in the United States.

Although I was glad that this medal was awarded, I couldn't help but think, "too little, too late."  By 2010, many of those men would have died.  I wondered, did each of them get a medal, or was this a group award?  I hope they each got one.

Verdict: If you're in the museum anyway, it will only take a few minutes to check this out.  I combined this with a look at Marian Anderson's outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment