Saturday, January 12, 2013

Inside Insights: Photographs by the Smithsonian Community

Where: Ripley Center

When: through April 30, 2013

This is the second exhibit I've seen that focuses on the artwork of Smithsonian employees.  This one is strictly photography, and a talented bunch of photographers they are.  Employees for the purposes of this exhibit include fellows and volunteers, so they're pulling from a large pool of people.  The photos are the winners of a contest held in August of 2012; the subjects are people, places and objects.  Typing this reminds me of the "Schoolhouse Rock" cartoon about nouns!

Some of the photographs that most appealed to me were "Sunset, Disko Bay, Greenland" - the colors in this are just beautiful.  Another, called "Untitled" (I can overcome my disdain for this title, you see) features a person walking through the piece "Blue Penetrable" that I saw, and walked through myself, at the Hirshhorn.

Verdict: Worth a look, especially if you're a fan of photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment